Temptation

Read Genesis 4:7  "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it." (NIV)

Read 1 Chronicles 29:17  "I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity.  All these things have I given willingly and with honest intent."  (NIV)

Think: 

For over five years I was in Commercial Real Estate, a viciously competitive business.  In this field of focus, the acquisition and disposition of investment properties, you only get paid when you close a deal.  The concept of "team mentality" isn't taught.

Temptation struck when the phone rang. It was a woman who owned a large apartment complex and who had been referred to me by a mutual acquaintance. She recently had a pricing evaluation done on her property and wanted a second opinion before deciding to sell. I knew that if I priced it aggressively, she would probably use me as her agent and the payoff would be great.

However, I immediately learned that another agent in my office had already completed the first pricing analysis. I had been sharing Christ with him during the past several months because he was in financial debt and looking of answers the world was not providing. I was now faced with a decision: I could undermine his efforts and take the listing myself or I could help him get the listing and get out of debt. My faith and integrity were being tested.

I thought about telling the woman I could get a higher price for the property, but the other agent had already priced it very aggressively,and his marketing proposal was excellent. I thought about co-listing the property with him, but he had put weeks of effort into getting the business. An honest evaluation would support his pricing conclusions. I also thought about informing the woman that the agent was younger and had less transactional experience, but in my heart I knew he would do an excellent job. Then I thought about Jesus Christ and what He would want me to do.

Fortunately, I decided to fix my heart on the things of God that day instead of taking immediate gratification. I honestly informed the woman that the agent was excellent, very capable, and that his pricing evaluation was accurate and aggressive. She decided to go with him.

A couple months later, the building transaction closed and the other agent was able to pay off all his debts. He told me after it was all done, "Nobody else in this office would have done that for me. I know you really live out your faith." He also invited me to lunch, and this gave me another opportunity to share the hope that is in me and to offer him a salvation that provides eternal treasures.

We all have a debt of sin to pay, but fortunately the "paid in full" sign was placed on a cross a long time ago. Any time we choose heavenly treasures over earthly ones on behalf of another, the Kingdom advances.

POINT TO PONDER: If we do not do what is right, sin is crouching at our door. It desires to have us, but we must master it.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:
1) Are you building up earthly possessions but compromising your faith in the process?

2) When God tests your heart, is He pleased with your integrity? Why or why not?

3) Today, will you choose heavenly treasures over earthly ones on behalf of another? Will you choose to advance the Kingdom?


0 comments:

Post a Comment